Saturday, September 11, 2010

May We Never Forget

Where were you that day--the day time seemed to stand still? It seems we all remember exactly where we were nine years ago when our lives, in a matter of mere seconds, seemed to be altered forever.


At least for awhile.


I was sitting at a table in Cracker Barrel having breakfast with our little girl. My phone rang, and it was my husband instructing me to drop what I was doing, go home quickly, and stay there. They had no idea how many sites would be attacked or where the attacks would take place. The drive home seemed to take forever. As I watched events unfold on live television, I vividly remember the fear that began to take hold of my heart. America was under attack. 


The hours ahead were some of the most frightening I've ever experienced. I cannot imagine what it must have been like for those who had loved ones unaccounted for in New York City, Washington, or in the skies over Pennsylvania. It must have been the closest thing to hell on earth one can experience. Nearly 3,000 Americans died that day.


Freedom's price. 


One of the things I most cherish about that time in our nation's history is how suddenly this divided country came together as one.


One nation under God, indivisible. For a time, we realized what was important in life, and, united behind our President, we vowed to hunt down and kill the terrorists who committed this terrible act. How thankful I am that we were blessed to have a man like President George W. Bush in the White House--the leadership he displayed in the days that would follow would be nothing short of amazing.


How soon we forget. It didn't take long. But for today, let us remember. And tomorrow, when life goes back to whatever your normal is, try to remember that for those who lost loved ones on 9/11, their reality is quite different. Their lives never did go back to normal. They haven't forgotten. 


May God give us the strength to remember with renewed commitment, in honor of those who have given their lives. Freedom comes at a great price, and only those who dare to fight for it are able to hold onto it.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. -Thomas Jefferson

No comments: