Wednesday, July 08, 2009

A Little Lesson On Leaving Comments

For nearly a year now, this blog has been in existence. As with any blog of political nature, comments are going to be left that agree and disagree with the writer and other commenters. I have always encouraged healthy debate between my readers...a little history for those of you who may not have been visiting this blog in its early days, I had many conservative commenters who were targeted after leaving their comments here. So, for a long time I published very few comments. When things settled down I began allowing them again, only to have the same thing happen yet again...Now, I have a particular reader (who has been relentless in her comments for the last few days) threatening a legal suit because she receives emails when there is a followup comment left under a post she commented on. So, for that reader and any others who may not know how things work on a blog, let me spell it out for you. If you do know, please do not be insulted...some who are new to the blogosphere may have a hard time understanding these things at first. 

First, here is my policy: Reader comments are moderated before publishing. Comments must be relevant to the post. Profanity is absolutely not allowed and will be summarily deleted. Irrational comments are subject to rejection. Spam, copied statements and other material not comprised of the reader’s own opinion will also be deleted.

This means that if you leave a comment saying "Sarah is an idiot" under a post that I have written about healthcare, it WILL be rejected. This also means that if you leave a comment that has ANYTHING to do with criticizing Sarah's family, it WILL be rejected. I would say the vast majority of comments left here by the left are irrational, so please try to make them sound, at the very least, sane...and they may get published. If you repeatedly leave comments that are irrational, threatening, or insulting, you are wasting your time. They don't get read after the first few, and they are summarily rejected thereafter. **Once you have been banned from commenting on this site, you will not be given a second chance. 

Finally, to be perfectly clear, there is a little box in the comment section that will ask you if you would like to receive followup emails after you leave your comment. If you check that box, you will receive an email if anyone leaves a followup comment under that post. I have absolutely NO control over whether or not you get an email from blogger. You do.

That being said, I love input from my readers. I respect a reader much more if he or she has the guts to at least use a name, but have allowed 'anonymous' to be used for those who have previously been targeted by other commenters here--and for those people, it's completely understandable. Demanding that I publish your comments is, without question, the quickest way to never get another comment published on this site.

As always, thanks so much for taking the time to visit. I hope you'll stop by again very soon!

No comments: