Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Some Humor

Pardon all the posts lacking any news content these last few days. I have been sick, and have just been sharing some fun things that I thought would bring some laughs this Christmas season. I got the following sentiments in an email this morning, and had to share. While to me this is ridiculously funny, it's a sad fact that there are many who take it very seriously and are greatly offended by common sense. 

Read on....

To all of my Democrat friends: 

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an
environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive,
gender-neutral celebration of the Winter solstice holiday, practiced within
the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or
secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular
persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious
or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful,
personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the
generally accepted calendar year 2009, but not without due respect for the
calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have
helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than
any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. Also,
this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical
ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

To all of my Republican friends:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, in the greatest nation in all the world!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tami,

Very P.C. of you!! I'm impressed ;)

Merry Christmas and Happy 2009!

Peace,

Susan

Mel said...

Awesome!!! I have some folks to send this to!!

Anonymous said...

I like it! Very rational thought.

Tyler said...

Well, I voted Democrat, and I think that I should be told Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year..I do think that this country is the greatest.
I guess that the republican stereotypes of Democrats must be right then if it's posted on this blog(even though I know you are free to put whatever you want on YOUR blog).
Tyler

Tami said...

Well, Tyler, most libs I have encountered would be quite offended by "Merry Christmas"....And yes, last time I checked I am free to put whatever I wish on this, my own blog. You have a problem with that, I encourage you to move along or start your own. Guess what? I'll never try and tell you what to write on YOUR blog. That's the beauty of a thing called "freedom".

Tami said...

Oh, and Tyler....
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Tami,

I don't think libs are so much offended by you saying "Merry Christmas"....I'm not, and I don't celebrate Christmas! :)

I think what offends is when there is such a blurring between church and state. I don't care if some shop-keeper tells me "Merry Christmas"...."Happy Holidays" would be nice and all-inclusive, since there are Jews, Christians, Muslims and Wicans celebrating at this time of year. However, if there are going to be religious symbols in gov't buildings, THAT I've got a problem with. I know you and I will disagree with this and I'm not trying to start anything....just commenting on your comment to Tyler's comment (whew!)

Anyhow, Merry Christmas & Happy, Healthy, Peaceful 2009!

Susan

Tyler said...

Thankyou for telling me Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...Thats all that I wanted to here.
Just because I am a democrat doesn't mean I'm an atheist or celebrate the "Winter Soltice", now does it?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too!

Cheryle said...

Gosh, Tami, I would love to have been wished "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" from you! Just as I wish my Jewish friends a "Happy Hanukkah."

Actually, I first saw this about 25years ago and thought it was pretty clever - and I still do. And, as some of your responses point out it's always a little risky to make generalizations, but I think all of us can recognize when something is cleverly tongue-in-cheek.

I do hope your family is enjoying preparations for Christmas. We certainly are!

Cheryle said...

PS: I'm sorry you've been ill. It's a tough time of year to deal with illness. Glad you're better.

John said...

Susan,

Just had to offer a correction in regard to the tired old misunderstanding of Jefferson's words.

The separation of church and state phrase was lifted from a letter Jefferson wrote, in which he actually was arguing for the converse of your meaning. In brief, very brief, Jefferson was saying that Government should have no authority in matters of conscience. Just as the Constitution plainly states in Amendment I:

"Congress shall make NO LAW respecting an establishment of religion, OR prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

As you can plainly see, the federal government has NO authority to restrain the free exercise of religion. That means if I want to read my Bible in a public school, I can. That means that you and I are free to worship without interference from a tyrannical power. Are you aware that Congress opens in prayer? Are you aware that in the very room where the Supreme Court of the United States hears oral argument, scripture verses are inscribed on the wall? Lack of erudition is the bane of our republic.

MurrayA said...

Tami,
By far the best weapon against these irrational, leftist nutters is ridicule. Reason is lost on them, but ridicule really gets under their skin.
So turn it on thick, as in this case.