Monday, September 08, 2008

ON THE ISSUES, PART 2: EDUCATION


I don’t know about you, but the topic of education is also an issue near and dear to my heart. My husband and I have chosen to homeschool our daughter. We had her in a private Christian school for the first 3 years of her educational experience, and frankly couldn’t continue to afford the tuition prices, which seemed to continuously rise. While public education is certainly a viable option for many, our position is that WE should choose what our daughter is taught, not the government, so homeschool became our only option.

Interestingly enough, the buzz on homeschool blogs is that Todd and Sarah Palin have decided to homeschool their children this year. I don’t know exactly how Palin feels about homeschooling, but this leads me to believe she is in support of such endeavors. I have also heard that her husband will become “Mr. Mom” for such time as she will be in the White House, should McCain be elected. I find this incredibly sweet, that this man would give up his outdoor life and career to move to Washington for a time and support his wife. (I cannot find where either of these facts have been confirmed, still looking!...)

Governor Palin supports abstinence based education, as well as teaching about contraception. She does NOT, however, favor what she calls “explicit” sex education. She appears to differ with McCain on the issue of sex eduation, and I feel certain she will make her voice heard.

As Governor of Alaska, Palin supported full funding for K-12 education, as well as “early funding of education”, a program that would give school districts more predictability. While in the race for Governor, when asked about the teaching of creationism along with evolution in public school science courses, Palin replied "Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both"; she went on to say that open debate between the two ideas should not be prohibited if it comes up in discussion.

In one of their acceptance speeches, either McCain or Palin made remarks on their support of school vouchers. This makes me very happy as I’m a mom who believes in being able to make that choice rather than be forced to put my child in the public school system. A Mccain/Palin ticket also intends to build on what has already been started by the Bush/Cheney White House with the No Child Left Behind program.

As I stated in Part 1, as I continue to learn more about her stand on these issues, I will add to this posting.

No comments: